Welcome to our Forums!

Type /register while in-game to register for a forum account.

The Book Recommending Thread

Jedoi

Guardian
Despite having a ridiculously long to-read list, I've found that some of the best books I've ever read have been recommended to me by Lokans, so I figured why not have an official thread for recommending books and book series? Give me your favorite books, preferably with a short description, and I might add it to my to-read list!

I'll start with some of my favorites. I may add to this list later.

Wings of Fire by Tui T. Sutherland: First off, this is my favorite series of all time, but very easy to read. It's probably a middle school level book, but I like it a lot. It's about five young dragons hatched according to a prophecy, in order to end a great war fought across the world. Everyone seems to have an idea of how they should end it, but maybe they should stick to their way. Which is.. what exactly, again?

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull: Also a pretty easy read. Mythical creatures are real in our modern world, but kept in sanctuaries called Preserves for their own protection. Kendra and Seth, a pair of siblings, are on vacation on their grandparent's property, but little do they know that it's actually a Preserve, and their grandparents are Caretakers. Are those really butterflies floating around, or fairies?

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks: The best assassin in the world takes on an apprentice, who must reject his old life and take on a new name and identity. That's all I can really explain, without spoiling one of the hundreds of plot twists. This is one of the best books I've ever read and it's not very well known which makes me so sad because it's so good.

The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta: Titles are Finnikin of the Rock, Froi of the Exiles, and Quintana of Charyn. I added that because it can be a little difficult finding the first one without it. Anyways, there's a cursed kingdom, no one can enter it, no one can leave it. The Captain of the Guard's son, Finnikin, who is trapped outside his homeland, searches for their lost Prince who was supposedly murdered... but rumors say he's alive and can end the curse. More plot twists. The beginning is slow, but later gets to intense I could barely put the book down. I ended up naming one of my birds Quintana after the third book's protagonist.

koi0001

Slicer
You never specified it had to be fiction so I'm just going to go on a limb here:

Chasing the scream: This book outlines the journey of the war on drugs through a somewhat unbiased perception of Johann Hari.

The book follows the journalist through different settings showing how drugs and addiction have affected individuals uniquely in each aspect of their life.

Fair warning, the journalist can come off as a nut pretentious sometimes.

Sparky___

Guardian
Community Rep
It's generally very difficult for me to get interested in a book, much less take time or money to read them. (Reading assignments in school have always been a nuisance to me). But this thread got me to return to finishing arguably my favorite two book series ever.

I'm currently finishing a series of books known as the Priscilla Hutchins or The Academy series by Jack McDevitt. Right now I'm on Odyssey which is the 5th book in the series.

The other series, by the same author is the Alex Benedict series, which I originally came across in high school and immediately was hooked on. I'm embarrassed to admit that I am very much a "judge a book by its cover" person and that's how I picked one up. The illustrations on these covers are usually quite interesting to look at. In any case, I just today bought the newest book in that series.

Both series cover similar topics and are the same sci-fi futuristic space exploration type of genre (and also are set in the same universe canonically?), but the Alex Benedict series is more about a man and a woman who run a xenoarcheology company selling space artifacts to rich people basically (a controversial issue within the book's story itself) and the various mysteries they come across. It's also set like 11,000 years in the future, but you know.

The other is closer to modern time, but after the invention of faster than light interstellar travel and is more or less the adventures of a female pilot venturing out into space in the pursuit of SCIENCE.

This is arguably a good young adult series imo cause it has some underlying context about some real world issues going on, but they're not in your face and also is just great if you've ever wondered what other life might be like in the universe or if you're weird like me and spend long car trips wondering what First Contact would look like.

So yeah, if you don't hear from me, it's because I'm being sucked into these books in an effort to escape reality.

Okay cool.